Bishop Auckland Railway Station
National Rail Travel Centre
Ticket Sales Line: 01388-661394
Closed until further notice due to National Lockdown
This was subsequently extended to Blackhill. A branch from this line at Witton-le-Wear to Frosterley was opened in 1847, extended to Stanhope in 1862, and again to Wearhead in 1895. The construction of a branch line from Durham to the town in April 1857 by the North Eastern Railway saw the original station replaced, later that year, by a joint NER/S&D structure on the current site, but it soon became inadequate for the traffic using it, especially after the opening of the South Durham and Lancashire Union Railway to Barnard Castle and onwards to Tebay in 1862. This led the NER to rebuild it in December 1867 and again (in triangular form) in 1905.
As elsewhere the UK, rail traffic in the area declined after World War II, with the Wearhead branch the first to lose its passenger trains in 1953. The principal closures came in the 1960s, with services to Barnard Castle via West Auckland ending in 1962, those to Durham in 1964 and those to Crook in 1965, leaving only the Darlington line in operation (along with the freight-only branch to Eastgate). The station remained more or less intact (although increasingly forlorn and run-down) for more than 20 years thereafter, until it was replaced by the current structure in June 1986. This stands on the site of the former Crook branch platform - the remainder of the old station site having been redeveloped (it is now occupied by retail outlets).
The station became an unstaffed station in May 1969 with the closure of the Ticket Office.
On Tuesday 12th February 2013 Bishop Auckland Railway Station became a staffed station once again following the opening of a new Ticket Office.
Bishop Auckland gained its first rail link in 1842, when the Stockton and Darlington Railway built a line into the town from neighbouring Shildon, initially to a temporary terminus at South Church. A permanent station on the current site followed within months, being opened by the Bishop Auckland and Weardale Railway on 8 November 1843, along with an extension further into Weardale as far as Crook in 1844 to serve various coalmines and quarries in the area.